Friday, August 26, 2011

Q&A with Jenny Wren Jewelry

1). I love how your jewelry is unique and well made, yet priced very reasonably!  How did you get into jewelry-making and the craft biz?  
I have always been imaginative and love collecting jewelry. Many years ago, a close friend gave me a pair of earrings for my birthday that I really liked. I asked her where she got them and she said, "I made them!" I was intrigued and asked her to show me how. I have been making jewelry ever since.

2). So, tell us about your business name, Jenny Wren. Is it a nod to Paul McCartney? ;)  
I have been asked that many times! Though I'm a big Beatles/Paul McCartney fan, I had not heard of that song. My name is Jenny and when I was young, my mom read me a story about a bird named Jenny Wren. She began calling me Jenny Wren, or Wren for short, from the time I was very young. I have a real fondness for that nickname so when I was thinking of the name for my business it came to mind early on. Also, since I'm a graphic designer, I knew I could do something interesting with a bird graphic, so I went for it.

3). What three words would you use to describe your craft?  
Wow...  that's a good question.  Today, I would have to say: eclectic, fun and inviting. On another day, I would most likely come up with different adjectives.

4). Your felt bracelets are just SO cool! What would you say is your most popular type of jewelry design?  
So glad you like the bracelets! They were my first foray into sewing and using felt in my jewelry and I really enjoy making those. My most popular jewelry design of late are my vintage button rings. I love making them: hunting for the perfect vintage buttons, working out the color, texture and size combinations, etc. I'm getting a lot of positive response to the rings. I love that they cover a wide generational demographic as the buttons are nostalgic for women my age and older and they also appeal, from a vintage perspective, for younger jewelry lovers.

5). Where can we find your craft outside the Ballston Arts & Crafts Market?  
I have a site on etsy, where there is a small selection of items for sale. But, you can see a much larger offering of my jewelry when I participate in local craft markets like Fenton Street Market, Handmade Mart and the Crafty Bastards Arts and Crafts Fair (held on October 1st this year).

Random bonus question: What’s in your pockets right now? Go!  
Today just a little pocket lint! On other days there would be a lucky penny I found on my walk to work or a broken piece of jewelry that I found on the sidewalk that I will make into some new creation!

Jenny Wren Jewelry will be exhibiting at the next Ballston A&C Market on Saturday, Semptember 10th!

1 comments:

Royn-Ber Wendjaifa said...

Traditionally, in naive jewellery the skull is a favoured subject, it's a memento mori, a reminder of our mortality, that is if we needed one, as the skull beneath the skin tells us this ever day.