Friday, April 15, 2011

Q&A with Art2Die4


1). Art2Die4 is a colorful, truly unique experience in hand-tinting. I’ve never seen photography like it. Can you share with us your artistic process?
Absolutely! I use an old-fashioned technique of oils and q-tips and lots of fingers to mix in the different colors of oil onto the photo surface. First, each photo must be printed on a special photographic paper so the oils will stick. If its a photo that I have taken myself that's all there is. If it is one of my historic photos I first restore the image so all the age spots and tears have been removed. It's really a joy to watch the image come to life in color! And, I use very subtle colors to merely enhance the image, but keep it intact.

2). Where does your inspiration come from? 
Just from life itself. I love images of people and their expressions revealing who they really are. That's what started me on my special section called "A Celebration of Women." I was overjoyed to find great old photos of suffragettes and women playing baseball in the 1920s and a woman pilot from 1910, etc. Great reminders of how hard women have worked to get where we are today.  

3). What is your favorite handmade possession? 
One of the most inspirational pieces that I have done is of two women in 1916 in Washington DC. The title of the piece is "Convention of Former Slaves, Washington DC." Every time I see their faces I am inspired to do even more to reveal these images from our past that we have forgotten ... give them renewed life!

4). What three words would you use to describe your craft?
I would say my work of the historic pieces is nostalgic, sometimes a bit haunting and definitely eclectic.

5). Where can we find your craft outside the Ballston Arts & Crafts Market? 
Right now I have a gallery space in Richmond Virginia at the Crossroads Art Center where I show my work and also my website. I participate about 25 juried art shows a year in Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and North Carolina.

Random Bonus Question: What’s your favorite mythological creature? Any reason? 
One of my favorite mythological creatures is the Phoenix, with its beautiful gold and red plumage. It is a sacred firebird (not any sex). When it dies it builds itself a nest of cinnamon twigs which it then ignites. Both nest and bird are reduced to ashes from which a new, young phoenix arises. I like to think that is how we are when we create our lives here and then are reduced to ashes only to rise again into a new lifetime to create again.

0 comments: