Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Q&A with Nikdapooh Designs

I'm getting really excited for the 2011 Ballston Arts & Crafts Market season, so I decided to re-post a cool interview with Nikki from Nikdapooh Designs. I hope this will help you get into the crafty spirit, too!

Come visit Nikdapooh Designs at the Ballston A&C Market on Opening Day - Apirl 9th!


1). Well, I gotta ask. What’s the story behind the name of your business, Nikdapooh Designs?
Nikdapooh is one of my favorite nicknames that I was given as a little girl by my mom and uncle. Nikdapooh is a mix of Nikki (my nick name from Monique ) and Winni the Pooh (the cute bear). I'm gonna say it means very cute, friendly and makes you smile. (I'm still like that, of course!) Not to mention very pooh-like. I use Nikdapooh Designs as my business name now because I want my work to bring out that happy inner child that some of us adults forget about in our everday lives.

2). From the doe-eyed "Fish Out of Waterto the sweet Orioles Wall Hanging, I love how each piece seems to evoke a darling personality. Is there a favorite "character" you like to create?
I love to create fun characters that make my 9-year-old say, "I want that one, Mom!" with a big smile on her face. That means I did something right in my book.

3). What three words would you use to describe your craft?
Three words I would describe my craft as would have to be ...

Eco-Inspired because I love upcycling materials for my craft and having my friends involved in saving things that I can repurpose into art.

Family Friendly because Nikdapooh
Designs is all about family interaction, conserving and fun crafts for
everyone.

Unique because I work from the heart and my imagination. I really want to share all those random artsy ideas that run through my mind all day untill the middle of the night.

4). I have seen a surge of amazing talent emerge from Baltimore in the past few years. How would you describe the Baltimore craft scene?
The Baltimore craft scene is one big melting pot family. I've meet many crafters in shows over the years and when I see them again we embrace each other like a family reunion. I have been inspired, schooled and put in my place by my family of artist/crafters here in Baltimore and mostly because they walk different paths in life and come from all over the world.


5). Where can we find your craft outside the Ballston Arts & Crafts Market?
You can enjoy Nikdapooh Designs crafts on my Etsy shop. And, if you like blogs, check out my blog.

Bonus question: Quick! What’s in your pockets right now?
Nothing, I'm wearing a house dress. (Can't believe I just told you that!)

0 comments: