Monday, June 8, 2009

Q&A with Sweet & Light

Jayne Hudgins, the owner of Sweet & Light, makes her first appearance at the Ballston Arts & Crafts Market on June 13th, and we couldn't be more excited to have her. Just for us, the busy artists takes a little time out to answer life's most poignant questions. :)

1). Sweet & Light. It reminds me of June! Please tell me how you came up with your name.
I've heard many successful artists advise to make what you love and your kindred spirits will find you. "Sweet and Light" pretty much describes all my favorite things: Sweet candy colors, soft feminine florals, girlish sensibilities, and always remembering to not take things too seriously. It's also about the nostalgia associated with vintage linens and retro prints. That's "sweet and light" to me.

2). What inspires you when you are designing?
My inspiration is always changing. There are so many creative people sharing their art and craft on the internet. It's a great resource for getting the creative juices flowing. And of course, I'm inspired by the fabrics themselves. I use mostly vintage, reclaimed, and re-purposed fabrics and as soon as I set eyes on them, the finished item is already taking shape in my head. And lately I've been finding so much inspiration in plants, flowers and animals in my neighborhood. Spring in the DC area is truly beautiful!

3). My favorite item in your boutique is the Li’l Strawberry Change Purse. What a creatively cute idea! What is, currently, your favorite item to create?
Thanks! The strawberry purse is fun to make, but right now I'm really enjoying making appliquéd linen wristlets. Laying out the designs and doing the free form machine embroidery is such fun. It's kind of like drawing with a sewing machine. Each one is a little different, with its own character. These are an item I've designed especially for the Ballston Craft Market.

4). What three words would you use to describe your craft? (Besides “sweet” and “light”!)
Feminine, fresh, and eco-friendly

5). Where can we find your craft outside the Ballston Arts & Crafts Market?
Well, you can always find select wares in my Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6104091, but the Ballston Arts and Crafts Market will be my first show. I'm still new to the DC area, having moved here from Indiana last year, and I'm just getting a feel for all the craft shows DC has to offer! There will certainly be more in my future. Until then you can follow my work at my blog, http://www.sweetandlight.typepad.com/. I will post news about upcoming shows there.

0 comments: