Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Q&A with Signatures by LaNorma

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think it's safe to say that Signatures by LaNorma has something that will wow each and every beholder.

1). Please tell us a little bit about yourself and your craft. What sets you apart from other jewelry-makers?
My name is LaNorma Huggins-Hopes, the jewelry designer/owner of Signature Designs by LaNorma, LLC, an online artisan jewelry boutique, that parades colorful gemstones, precious metals, vintage beads, glass and many other fine materials and fuses them into one-of-a-kind pieces to capture each customer's unique and vibrant personality.

What sets me apart from other Jewelry designers is my unique style and the inspiration for each piece I design. Jewelry designers draw inspiration from interesting people, places and things. My inspiration comes from my mother’s hometown of Mobile, Alabama - the home of the “Original Mardi Gras” and my talented grandmother. As a young girl, I was drawn to the festive colors, elaborate masks, and symbols of carnival. My grandmother, a talented seamstress, created gorgeous gowns and beaded trained for the various queens in the Mardi Gras Royal court. Infused with this inspiration, I created a jewelry collection bursting at the seams with vibrant color, magical craftsmanship and a bit of mystery.

2). What three words would you use to describe your jewelry?
The three words that best describe my jewelry collection are unique, colorful, and eye-catching.

3). I noticed on your website, you have a bunch of different collections. Besides, Mardi Gras, what inspires you?
The inspiration for my collections comes from many things; The Maxi collection was inspired and named in honor of my "queen of all crafts" grandmother Maxine Taylor.

The inspiration for the Love Me collection was to celebrate “love for oneself." Love for the unique qualities and characteristics that make us beautiful and special.

My latest collection, the Signature Gents collection was inspired and designed for that fashion-savvy guy who wants something beyond the ordinary.

4). It seems like you really have the art of jewelry-making down! Is there any other craft you're dying to try?
Since I was a teenager, I have always had aspiration to be a fashion designer. In the future, I would like to expand my collection to include unique fashion accessories like hats, purses, and scarves.

5). Where can we find your jewelry outside the Ballston Arts & Crafts Market?
My jewelry collection is available online at http://www.signaturesbylanorma.com/ and at the following boutiques: Lofty Salon and Wellness Spa, Vienna, VA and Threads DC, Washington, DC, and various shows and events.

You can see a special collection on the runaway at the Artomatic event, “Art in Fashion” on July 3rd.

Check out Signatures by LaNorma on July 11th at the Ballston Arts & Crafts Market!

0 comments: